10 April 2014

Update from London

Hi all!

Im back in London and I have been busy getting over jetlag, sorting out work issues, organising catch ups with friends and planning fun things to do. I mean, who wouldnt want to go on a walking tour of Londons toilets, right? The life of a London expat :) Im happy to say that London greeted me with some lovely warm weather (allow me to clarify, that is warm according to London standards), sun and blue skies.

Im lucky to be staying with a friend for a couple of weeks while I sort out my work situation but after that i'll be staying a hostel - last time I lasted 6 weeks before getting a little fed up with inconsiderate people. I did meet my first friend there though so it'll be interesting to see how long I last this time around.

current view from my room - not bad :)


I think that one of the hardest things, when moving to a new country, is feeling settled. And despite having lived in London for 2 years, I dont expect I will feel settled for at least another 6 months.

A big part of this is not having a permanent home. When I left London last year, I had to give up my place and now I will have to jump through all the delightful hoops of the London real estate market all over again. I still cant decide if I should find a place of my own again (and pay through the nose) or start up my own house share. I think once the work situation is settled, that will help me decide.


Such a poser!

In the meantime, I have a little furry creature occupying my friends house who I'm totally in love with and is always on the look out for cuddles and pats. Nothing destresses like a purring kitty dont you think?

Dont forget, the #LondonExpatLife Twitter Chat starts next week, details are here.

Also, my blog has been nominated for Australian Writers Center Peoples Choice Best Blog Awards. If you like what you read, be sure to vote for me - just click on this fabulous button to get started :)

Thanks!



7 comments:

  1. me and a mate are looking for a place in the next few weeks if you need some buddies/we don't find something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael, thanks for the offer! Id be happy to have a chat about it. Shoot me an email?

      Delete
  2. I voted for you! Congrats. Good luck on settling in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! I hope you're feeling a little bit more settled at the moment and I hope London is still treating you well. Are you staying in a hostel yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Im happy to be back! Actually my friends have been super lovely and asked me to stay a little longer but i'll be hostelling it in about a week or so.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:13 pm

    Good luck with the home-hunt! I know what you mean about feeling unsettled without a permanent home - it can be tough, but hang in there because London is worth it in the end! On that note, I am intrigued by the tour of toilets... ;-)

    ReplyDelete