08 July 2007

Musical wishes

Hearing: Try Again - Aaliyah

In a very un-VP-Like move, i neglected to bring my camera along when i went to see Wat Pho (aka the temple of the Reclining Buddha) yesterday. It was the first time I've been there and a place I've always wanted to visit. Walking into the temple i was struck by exactly how large the image was - and all gold plated! The other thing i noticed was an almost musical ting-ting-ting... After taking in the Buddha from the front and the detailed mother-of-pearl mosaic images on its feet, i made a donation and picked up a small bowlful of 1/4bht to go through the same ritual as everyone else.

I cant remember exactly but i think you offer a prayer/wish and then you drop a coin into each of the cauldron-like containers that line the wall. If, when you reach the end you have the exact coins as containers then your prayer/wish will be granted... i had too many coins left over *sigh* But it was fun and the ting-ting-ting of my coins dropping into the containers was pleasant too.


And since i didn't take a photo I've included one from this website.















VP

No comments:

Post a Comment