09 February 2015

The cafe in a toilet - no, I'm not taking the piss.


What would you say if I told you that I recently found myself sipping coffee with several urinals in my line of sight? What if it wasn't just coffee, what if I ate there too? Am I grossing you out?


The Attendant is a cafe located in one of Londons disused Victorian toilets, a short walk from the bustling Oxford Street. The toilet was built around the 1890s and became disused in the 1960's. My curiosity was piqued ever since I heard about it, not on the Loo tour, but via word-of-mouth. It had novelty, clever use of space and a reputation for a really good cup of coffee. The things I do for a good cup of coffee...*sigh*.
 
The cafe kept a lot of its features, the tiles, the urinals, a cistern and hand drier. But all are, naturally, disused, purely ornamental and CLEAN! (Seriously, they'd have to be, can you imagine the food safety inspection before they were allowed to open??) The urinals are now used for individual seating with two small spaces set aside for a couple of tables and the main service area.


I dragged a friend of mine there recently to try it out. The coffee was like having a taste of home, it was that good. Smooth, perfectly balanced and strong. The Vegemite on toast just made my day, and, unfortunately, gave my friend food envy as they didn't have any gluten free bread.


Having arrived fairly early on a Saturday morning, we easily got a table. We sipped our coffee chatted and watched other people come in and be tickled with the novelty of the space. We didnt feel rushed at all.


Unfortunately the space is so small they don't really have a kitchen so the gluten free options for my friend were limited to the sweet offerings.


I had a good time at the Attendant. It had good coffee, quirky surroundings and a chilled atmosphere. It even had a special wall dedicated to 'graffiti' complete with toilet puns. So yep, my friend and I added our names to the wall, as if you wouldn't!


And in case you are wondering, yes, the toilet cafe had a toilet...

Would you visit and add your name to the wall?



12 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to go here for more than a year now! Looks like such a quirky place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should, its such a nice twist on your usual cafe.

      Delete
  2. haha so fun! I love it when places like this are preserved and transformed into something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. So glad there are people out there who see potential in such places.

      Delete
  3. This place has been on my list! Great review and shall look for your name when I finally get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Attendant! I visited when I was writing an article about almond milk lattes for About Time Magazine (they're one of the few coffee shops in London that offer this) and was totally charmed by the interiors. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that they played up their Victorian interiors, it is such an interesting little cafe, isnt it?

      Delete
  5. Haha this is so odd! I haven't heard of this one before. I have been wanting to go to WC in clapham which I think is the same kind of thing! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmin, Your right, the Clapham one is the same concept but different food. Havent been to it yet but its on my list! Do let me know what you think when you go.

      Delete
  6. Haha no way this made me chuckle!! I'd love to visit here, there's nothing like trying out something a little different. It;s on the list!!

    Sarah xxx || www.whatsasssays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very different! Hope you get there & glad it gave you a chuckle.

      Delete